Skip to content


If you do not see a resource you need in the information below, our Immigration Coordinators will be happy to assist you.
**Note that we are not tax professionals and cannot provide tax advice. The following information is for reference only and may not reflect current law, policies, or procedures.**

UWM ISSS General Tax Overview
ISSS has compiled some general tax information into a presentation; click here to access the presentation. (Note that for tax year 2022, April 15, 2023 falls on the weekend, therefore the filing deadline is extended to April 17, 2023)

Reminder: ISSS does not have expertise in U.S. tax filing and we cannot assist in determining your filing requirements. The information provided is for reference only and may not reflect the most current law, policies, or procedures.

UW-System Tax Resources: 
Resources for Nonresident Aliens Filing U.S. Federal and/or State Income Tax Returns
Tax Filing Resources

Note: Glacier Tax Prep offers some live workshops for tax filing assistance. To access a live session, login to your Glacier Tax Prep account and select the link to “Live General Nonresident Alien Tax Information and GTP Q&A Sessions”. 

Wisconsin State Tax Filing Webinar: Tax Tips for UW International Students
The Wisconsin Department of Revenue has provided a pre-recorded webinar for the University of Wisconsin System International students where they  discuss how to file Wisconsin state taxes for the tax year 2021. Click here to access the 2021 tax year recording. If we are provided an updated workshop for tax year 2022, it will be posted here. 

Frequently Asked Tax Questions:
Do I need to file taxes for last year?

Yes. All international students who were in the United States during the tax year must file federal and state tax returns whether or not income was earned. See the following questions for more information on your filing status and how to file.

How do I know what my filing status for taxes is?
Refer to the following website to determine if you are a nonresident alien or a resident alien: IRS Resident and Nonresident Aliens Definition.

I am considered a nonresident alien for tax purposes and I earned income; what do I need to file?
You must file to report all your income from U.S. sources. You need to complete both a  Form 8843 and a Form 1040NR.
You may be required to file a state income tax return as well. You should read the instructions on the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website to determine any filing requirements.

I am considered a resident alien for tax purposes; what do I need to file?
You must follow the same tax laws as U.S. citizens. Therefore you must report all your income. You will file the federal Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return as well as a state income tax return.

I did not earn any income last year, do I still need to file taxes?
Yes. If you identify as a nonresident for tax purposes with no U.S. income, you and any dependents are required to file the Form 8843 only. 

How do I answer questions 9 and 10 in Part III of my 8843?
Use the following for Answer 9: University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 2200 E Kenwood Blvd, Milwaukee, WI 53211, (414)229-1122
Use the following for Answer 10: Jennifer Gruenewald, 2441 E. Hartford Ave. Garland 138, Milwaukee, WI 53211, (414)229-4846
An example of what this should look like can be found on this example document: 8843 Example Document (spring 2021)

When should I file my taxes?
Federal and State Tax filings for the prior calendar year are due by April 15th each year (if this date falls on a government holiday or weekend date, the filing due date will be the next business day).

Who can help me complete my tax filing?
For students who were employed by UWM, you should have access to the Glacier Tax Preparation service provided through the Human Resources Department. You can contact the Human Resources Department for further information or review the following UWM Glacier website:

Below are helpful links:
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee: Department of Human Resources: Tax Season
University of Wisconsin System: Tax Filing Resources (
Internal Revenue Service: Foreign Students, Scholars, Teachers, Researchers, and Exchange
Sprintax General Blog: Blog
Sprintax Blog About Filing the Form 8843: What is Form 8843 and How Do I File It?

If you need assistance completing your tax filings, you should hire a Tax Professional who is experienced working with International Students. 

I received a Stimulus Check from the U.S government, what should I do?
The Economic Impact Payments from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) is often referred to as the Stimulus Check and stimulus monies. 

Some individuals received stimulus monies from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and they should not have. If you are a non-resident alien for tax purposes, you are not eligible to receive the stimulus funds. You may be required to return the stimulus monies. If you filed mis-filed your 2018 federal taxes and therefore received the stimulus monies, you can amend your past tax filing to correct this mistake.

What should I do if I missed the deadline for prior year tax filing?
You still have the opportunity to submit your missed tax filing; you should submit your missed year tax filings immediately. We suggest that you work with a professional to determine your best options.  

What if I filed incorrectly for a prior year tax filing?
You have the opportunity to update your filing; you should update your filing immediately. We suggest that you work with a professional to determine your best options.  
What are my immigration documents?
Your immigration documents include: passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019, and I-94.

Do my immigration documents need to remain valid while in the U.S?
  • Your passport must be valid throughout your stay in the US.
  • Your visa can expire while you are in the US. When you travel outside the U.S., you will need a valid U.S. visa to request re-entry.
  • Your I-20/DS-2019 has to be valid while you are in the US. At least thirty days prior to your expiration date, work with ISSS to extend your I-20/DS-2019.
    • F-1 students should complete the I-20 Program End Date Extension request in their ISSS Connect portal.

How and when should I obtain my I-94?
  • You can print out your most recent I-94 here after each entry to the U.S.
  • You should review for accuracy, download, and keep for your records a copy of your new I-94.
    • If your entry is not reflected correctly after 24 hours from your entry to the U.S., make an appointment with an Immigration Coordinator for assistance.
When do I need a new I-20/DS-2019?
The reasons listed below are common situations when you need a new I-20/DS-2019:
  • Your I-20/DS-2019 is about to expire and you need more time to complete your program.
  • You change your program of study.
  • You change your degree level.
  • You lost your I-20/DS-2019.
  • You apply for CPT/OPT.
  • You have a change in funding and need an updated document for a visa appointment.
If you have questions about if you need a new I-20/DS-2019, contact ISSS.

What are the full-time enrollment requirements for an international student?
  • Undergraduate students must enroll in at least 12 credits each fall and spring semester.
  • Graduate students must enroll in at least 8 credits each fall and spring semester.
  • Graduate students with an assistantship employed at 33% or greater must enroll in at least 6 graduate credits each fall and spring semester. The Graduate Program may require a higher minimum.
  • Graduate students in Prelim status must enroll in at least 1 credit each fall and spring semester. 
  • Graduate students in Dissertator status must enroll in at least 3 credits each fall and spring semester.
  • Summer and WinteriM semesters are optional unless they are your first semester at UWM. 

How many online courses can I enroll in each semester?
F-1 visa regulations allow one online course to count towards full-time enrollment each semester. Sponsored students may have additional restrictions based on sponsor allowances. If you have questions about your situation, make an appointment with an immigration coordinator. 

Can I request authorization for less than full-time enrollment?
Under limited circumstances, you may be eligible for less than full-time enrollment. Make an appointment with an immigration coordinator for more details if you have questions.

Can I work while studying at UWM?

As an F-1 student, you can work on-campus without additional authorizations. Any other work experiences require authorization.

How many hours can I work?
  • F-1 students can work up to 20 hours per week on campus while school is in session during the fall and spring semesters.
  • During summer and winter vacations, you can work over 20 hours per week as allowed by your hiring department.

What is CPT and how do I apply for it?
CPT stands for “Curricular Practical Training”. It is a type of employment authorization which allows you to participate in an off-campus internship/volunteer/co-op/fieldwork/clinical/work experience that is directly related to your curriculum. Enrollment is required and you may need additional approvals from your department. More information on CPT can be found on the ISSS Connect CPT page.

If I have on-campus employment, can I still participate in CPT? 
Yes you can. You may participate in both simultaneously. ‚Äč

What is OPT and how do I apply for it?
OPT stands for “Optional Practical Training”. It grants you up to 12-months of employment authorization after you complete your degree in the U.S. More information on OPT and instructions on applying for OPT can be found on the ISSS Connect OPT page

Resume, Cover letter, and Job Searching Tips for International Students

The Career Planning and Resource Center provided a virtual workshop directed toward international students. The presentation provided tips for creating a resume, writing a cover letter, and navigating the job search process in the United States. All F-1 students and alumni were welcome to attend; the workshop was held on April 4, 2022 at 10:00am. 

Click here to access the PowerPoint used during the workshop. The event was not recorded. 

To make a Career Advising Appointment or to access the many resources available, visit the CPaRC website.

Scams are dishonest, fraudulent, illegal schemes to make money, especially those that involve tricking people. Unfortunately, there are often scams targeting International Students and Scholars in the United States.

This web page provides resources for students and scholars to help recognize these scams, and know how to react. If you have been the victim of a scam, you should contact the police immediately. If you receive suspicious phone calls or emails, please contact Director of International Student & Scholar Services, Jennifer Gruenewald.

Immigration Scams:
Beware of scammers claiming to be with any U.S. government agency involved with immigration matters: Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), Counter Terrorism and Criminal Exploitation Unit (CTCEU), United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), the Student & Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), SEVIS, Customs & Border Protection (CBP), the U.S. Department of State (aka, the State Dept or DOS), or the out-of-date name Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS). USCIS has helpful resources on their AVOID SCAMS webpage, including information on common immigration scams.

Tax Scams:
In addition, please be wary of any phone calls or emails you may receive from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS website describes potential scams that could affect you. If you receive any suspicious emails from the IRS, report them to the IRS.

Phone calls from USCIS, FBI, IRS, or Police department:
Here is a real story:
A local student received a phone call from the FBI office in La Crosse, WI. The caller told the student that she was being investigated for tax fraud based on unpaid tuition tax. The student thought the call sounded like a scam and when she questioned the speaker he told her to google the number. The Google search confirmed that the number was the La Crosse FBI office. She was told that failure to pay would result in her being arrested and immediately deported. She began to comply. She was told to purchase gift cards and give the gift card numbers to the scammers. They immediately transferred the balances. She realized this was not appropriate and contacted the police, the bank, etc., but the money was gone.

Scammers often know your name, address, phone number, your home country, and other personal information. They may SPOOF phone numbers from legitimate law enforcement offices. One of the techniques they use is to tell you to Google their number. The Google search will tell you that the number is a legitimate number. BE AWARE THAT THEY HAVE SPOOFED THESE PHONE NUMBERS. EVEN IF THE NUMBER IS LEGITIMATE, the person calling you is not.

Here is what you should know:
  • None of these offices (IRS, FBI, police) will call you regarding a tax or fines. If you get a call from someone saying they are from one of these agencies, follow the next two steps:
    • Calmly ask what the call is regarding. Take specific notes about what the caller is saying and requesting;
    • Politely request the agent’s information. Write down the agent’s full name, agency, and any identification number he or she can provide. Also request his or her direct phone number so you can call back. If the caller does not want to give you this information, it is probably a scam. Hang up immediately.
  • None of these offices will EVER require you to pay immediately and certainly DO NOT give any credit/debit card information over the phone. DO NOT give anyone your banking information. These offices will NEVER require you to purchase gift cards. They will NEVER ask you to go to Western Union. They will NEVER ask you how much money you have on hand. If they insist that you must pay today or you will arrested, deported, etc, it is probably a scam. Hang up immediately.
  • You can hang up at any time. If it is a legitimate call, they will call back and leave a message.
  • If the callers are threatening you, tell them that you will call them back with your attorney. They will usually tell you that you cannot disclose to anyone the discussion. This is a big RED FLAG. Hang up immediately.
  • CIE can help you evaluate any communication you receive from someone claiming to be from a U.S. government agency. If you receive a phone call, please contact CIE after you hang up to discuss the situation.

Email from USCIS regarding your petition:
In June 2017, a school in IOWA reported a new scam that targeting international students. Students received altered I-797Cs emails from, claiming to be USCIS. These I-797Cs are requesting payment via phone before their applications could be processed.

Here is what you should know:
  • Pay attention to the email address. is NOT the email address of USCIS;
  • USCIS will always contact you through mail. You should not take any action until you receive the paper notice through your mail;
  • If you receive suspicious emails, please call 414-229-4846 to make an appointment with an immigration advisor.

Money for work that you didn’t do:
In August 2017, some UWM students received an email from “VistaPrint,” offering students a way to earn money. The email said: “Work with us at the comfort of your home/school and earn $300/week at your convenience, Do email us back with your interest in this opportunity for more Information.” One of the students emailed the company and traded multiple emails and texts. Then he received a check of $2,000.00. Luckily, the student came to meet with us. We were able to figure out: IF the student had deposited the check, the sender would have had all the information about his checking account, and his money in the account would have been stolen.

Here is what you should know:
  • As a F1 student, you may NOT work off campus without appropriate authorization;
  • There is NO “free lunch.” If you received a check for the work you didn’t do, that is a SCAM.
  • If you receive a check and have questions, please bring the check to CIE and meet with an immigration advisor.

There are always new types of scams. Your reports of suspicious phone calls or emails help keep other students and scholars safe.

ALERT 10/08/2019:
An international student received a call from someone claiming to belong to the Social Security Administration. Similar to the alert posted on 9/25, this call claimed that the student’s account was going to be suspended and that the SSA was going to file a lawsuit against them. The Social Security Administration does not suspend your account and will not ever call you to threaten you. If you receive a call of this nature, do not provide your social security information or any account information and instead call the real SSA and provide a complaint.

ALERT 10/04/2019:
An international student received an email from a person claiming to be a professor/doctor asking the student to help them with some errands in exchange for an upfront payment. The letter concludes by mentioning a possibility of long-term employment if the work is determined to be satisfactory.

Be wary of offers of employment for work outside of UWM.

ALERT 09/25/2019:
An international student received a call from someone claiming to belong to the Social Security Administration. It was a prerecording that directed them to speak with a staff administrator, and it took a threatening turn. The message threatened to cancel the benefits and lock the social security account forever if the student didn’t speak with an “administrator”. Your social security number will not be suspended and the SSA will never threaten your benefits. For more information, read this.

ALERT 02/21/2019:
An international student reports that he received a call from a person claiming to be from the Social Security office. The student was given the telephone number of CIE to legitimize the call. The caller tried to get the student to provide personal information. Please know that the Social Security office will never telephone you. If Social Security has questions, they will send a formal letter to your home address. If you receive a call like this or any other suspicious call, hang up. Do not provide any personal information. Contact Director of International Student & Scholar Services, Jennifer Gruenewald.

ALERT 02/16/2018:
Several people have received automated (aka “robo”) calls from the “IRS” saying that if they do not return the call and provide a credit card number, they will be deported and/or put in jail. Our advice is to write down the telephone number and report any call you receive like this to an immigration coordinator at CIE. DO NOT call the number. The IRS will not telephone you directly and will never ask you for a credit card.

ALERT 01/09/2018:
A UWM Professor reported the following and gave us permission to share the story to help others be aware of possible scam phone calls:

I first received a phone call from a number that belongs to the Nashville city police department at North Precinct. A woman transferred my phone call to a “senior officer”. However, I don’t remember if this “senior officer” claimed he’s from somewhere. But this man claimed that I violated some IRS rules and committed crimes. He said that if I don’t follow his words I will be arrested by FBI immediately. He used a lot of “Iaw” words that I am not familiar with. So, I said I am not a native speaker and do not completely understanding what he was saying and asked if he could provide me his phone number and materials about my case in writing. I mentioned I need to find a lawyer for my case. He refused and asked, “You have been in the US for almost 7 years and you don’t understand English?”

After my phone call was hanged up, I called 911 and the Nashville police department “Urgency Without Emergency” number. Both said I might have received a scam call. The police officer also mentioned that : 1) people can make up the phone number so it looks like an office number from a government agency; and 2) if the police or FBI wants to arrest me, they will not notify me about it at all. So, what the man said did not make sense. ??

ALERT 12/22/2017:
A student received a call from a person claiming to be from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The student was told that if he did not pay $95,000 immediately, he would be arrested and deported the next day. Thankfully, the student did not give the caller any personal information or money. The student reported the call immediately to the international office and made a report to campus police. Campus police said that scams may increase over the holidays so it’s important to remember to never give personal information over the phone, to report suspicious calls, and that the IRS will always send physical mail rather than contact via telephone.

ALERT 11/30/2017:
A student at UWM received a phone call that spoofed the Milwaukee Police department. He was threatened with arrest and deportation. The student hung up, called the police department, and confirmed that was a SCAM. He reported this to CIE immediately. This student advises other students who receive calls like this: “Don’t panic even if the caller ID number seems real!”

ALERT 08/26/2017:
A student at UWM received a check for the work he didn’t do. He brought the check to CIE and found out it was a SCAM.

ALERT 06/15/2017:
A student from Iowa received an email from claiming to be USCIS, including genuine looking immigration documents, and demanding payment via phone to receive permanent residency. It was a SCAM.

An international student in New York City received a phone call from someone claiming to be from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The phone number matched the USCIS toll-free number. The caller claimed that on a recent trip abroad, the student had not filled out his I-94 card correctly and USCIS caught the error on the student’s pending OPT application. The caller had the student’s name, date of birth, address, phone number, and could confirm the last 4 digits of his I-94 number. The caller told the student that he needed to leave the United States immediately because a criminal case was pending against him.

When the student said he could not travel abroad currently, the caller said that “USCIS” could help him but only if he took action and sent money within the next two hours. The student was told that if he did not send money immediately, he would be deported within 24 hours. The student told the caller that he needed to call his International Students and Scholars Office to verify, but the caller said that if he hung up or even put the caller on hold, “USCIS” could not help him. The caller also told him that “USCIS” had already sent a court summons to his home address abroad but there had been no response. The caller then gave the student detailed instructions on how to send money via Western Union from a nearby drug store. The caller also told him that in order to fix the I-94 problem, he would need to pay additional money for a temporary A#, which he would then need to take to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office at JFK Airport where the student would be assisted further. Unfortunately, the panicked student fell for the SCAM and ended up sending over $1,600 to “USCIS.” (Source: NAFSA)

Make an Online International Payment - PayMyTuition

For international payments, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee has partnered up with PayMyTuition. PayMyTuition is an easy-to-use, safe, and seamless solution that allows international students to pay their tuition and fees in their local currency from any bank, in any country, in any currency at better than bank exchange rates.

Students can now efficiently make a payment with PayMyTuition to fund all their invoices and tuition-related fees.  Find additional information and instructions at: UWM One Stop Billing & Payments under the "Making Payments > Make an Online International Payments - PayMyTuition" section.