Skip to content

Arrange for Housing

Undergraduate New Freshmen are required to live on-campus their first year. All other international students are encouraged to live on-campus for at least their first academic year to help ease the transition to living in the U.S.

University Housing consists of five residence halls. Students that will live on-campus should make those arrangements as soon as possible.  Space is limited.

New Freshman: New freshmen are required to live on-campus for the first academic year, assuming available space. University Housing will contact you after your admission with instructions on finalizing a contract for a room.   

New Transfers and Graduate Students: University Housing is not required for new transfer students or for graduate students. To apply for University Housing, apply here as a New Resident/New Transfer Student for any of the 5 residence halls, and apply here for Kenilworth Square Apartments

Also, if you want to arrive before the official move-in date, you need to complete an early arrival form
The UWM Off Campus Resource Center assists students in finding safe, quality off-campus housing and roommates. If you would like to live off campus in an apartment or house, this would be a great place to start.

UWM has partnered with Rent College Pads to create an incredible resource to help you find reliable off campus housing options.
We recommend staying near the following neighborhoods: Shorewood, East Side, Lower East side, neighborhoods east of the Milwaukee River, as it is easier for you to get to the UWM campus.  
Make sure you read reviews to find a safe, reliable and helpful host. If you have any doubts or questions, you can often message the owner for a swift reply. As with all new places, be aware of your surroundings. 

You can find information on temporary housing options at UWM's Off Campus Resource Center: Temporary Housing site.

You also may be able to reserve temporary housing through UWM Guest Housing