Skip to content

Packing List

UWM University Housing rooms are furnished but do not include basic necessities like bed linens and cookware. Most off-campus apartments will not be furnished.  You should begin thinking about what you will need to bring with you from your home country and what you will purchase when you arrive in Milwaukee.

Items you need to bring:
I-20 (or DS-2019)
Passport with Student Visa
Final transcripts, if you have been admitted on the condition that you provide final transcripts

Items to consider bringing with you from your home country:
Warmer clothing for winter (winter coat, hat, gloves, scarf, winter boots)
Credit card
Professional/Formal Attire
Computer, flash drive
Medical records for existing illnesses, especially allergies
Prescription medicines, as required
Extra pair of contact lenses and/or glasses
Musical instruments
Traditional national clothing
International calling card
Special spices/foods from home
Items to consider buying after you arrive in Milwaukee:
Pillow, sheets, blankets, towels, and washcloths [see OCM linen Paks]
Bedspread or comforter [see OCM linen Paks]
Book bag or backpack
Umbrella and/or raincoat
School Supplies (including dictionary, thesaurus, calculator)
Cold medicines, aspirin, vitamins, antacids, ointments
Toiletries (razor, brush, comb, toothbrush, nail clippers, tweezers, deodorant, soap, etc.)
Hair care products
Small refrigerator (All residence halls have communal kitchens with a refrigerator and microwave. Cambridge Commons does not allow small refrigerators as one is provided)
Laundry basket or sack
Power strip (must be bought in the U.S.)
Study Lamp (must have metal shade if you are living in the residence halls or Kenilworth Square Apartments)
Sewing kit
Sports/recreational equipment (tennis racket, tennis shoes, etc.)
Throw rugs
Cooking/kitchen equipment 

Weapons of any kind
Space heaters
Irreplaceable valuables