Skip to content

Social Security

If you need a social security number, CIE must register your SEVIS record before you visit the Social Security office. If you are a new student you will need to complete Arrival Check-in before your record is registered. 

Note: You are only eligible for a social security number if you have a current job.
Step 1: If you are employed on campus, you are eligible for a Social Security number. You will need to bring the following to the International Student & Scholar Services office to be verified:
  1. The “Letter of Offer for On Campus Employment,” completed by your employer OR your Graduate Assistantship Contract
  2. The letter to the Social Security Administration that has been completed by you & signed by ISSS staff
We also recommend that you bring your passport & I-20 into our office so that we can assist you in verifying that all of the information is correct & will be accepted by SSA.

Step 2: Once you have the above mentioned letters AND you have checked in with the ISSS office you will be eligible to apply for a social security number at the Social Security office, which is located at 310 W. Wisconsin Avenue in downtown Milwaukee. You will need to bring the following:
  1. Both letters listed above. The letter to the Social Security Administration must be signed by ISSS staff
  2. Your current I-20. It must be unexpired & signed by a Designated School Official & you in the proper place
  3. Your unexpired passport
  4. A copy of your most recent I-94 card
  5. You will also need to complete Form SS-5. You can complete at the SS office or print the form (pg. 5) & it’s instructions
After you apply you should request a receipt of application from the Social Security officer who assists you. This will be for your own records. This receipt is of no value to anyone on campus for any purpose. It is solely for YOUR documentation of when you applied for your SS number. Please keep in mind that it can take anywhere from two weeks to two months to receive your Social Security card at the mailing address that you have used on your application. Once your card is received you should sign the card & take it to Englemann Hall room 125 for submission & provide it to your hiring department for their records.